Saturday, February 20, 2010

Picky Purple Pellet Eaters Unite!

This is a plea to Zupreem, a bird food company most of you know. 

I buy your fruit and natural pellets to add into a mix I make myself that also includes Roudybush pellets for some of my birds who will eat those. 

My beef is with your fruit pellets, and I suspect I'm not alone.

I have a few parrots who eat Zupreem fruit pellets, but none eat all of the colors.  Mealy Amazon Fred is a picky purple pellet eater, along with his belle Callie (both pictured at left) who will spice up her pellet diet with an occassional orange or yellow. Never a red and green pellet can pass their beaks; these colors deeply offend their delicate, sophisticated palates, you see.

As servant to these two, and my other equally picky pellet eaters (does any parrot eat all of the colors?), I spend a silly amount of time picking out the purple, orange and yellow pellets for these two in particular, so I can best monitor how well they're injesting their pellets. 

To put it bluntly, this is a pain and a waste.  Only one other bird in my flock can eat a similar sized pellet, and he gets all the red and green with the occasional purple that slips by me, but he only really likes the red and purple.  Not a single bird can bear the green.

You can see my dilemma. 

Sooooooo.....Why can't you sell colors separately?  I betcha it would be a smash hit.

If anyone is out there, please chime in if you agree.

People with Picky Purple Pellet Eaters Must Unite!

Birdie Byte
Many birds seem attracted to Zupreem fruit pellets.  They are widely distributed and marketed, so it's often the first pellet new birds owners introduce to their birds. 

There's much debate about the nutritional content of Zupreem; it has a very high sugar content for one, and that's not great for our birds.

But I feed it because most of my rescues came to me already on a Zupreem diet, and I figure better they eat Zupreem pellets than none at all.  Plus I feed plenty of fresh fruits, grains and vegetables, so I think they eat pretty well.  And I offer birdie muffins made with Roudybush Crumble to everyone.

Almost all of my birds eat a dry mix I make myself that includes the pellet(s) of their choice.  I just think they need more variety than one kind of pellet.  Plus I go one size smaller than the manufacturer suggests; there's much less waste.  (Don't go too small because that could cause your bird to choke)

So here's my small bird (small to med conures, senegal) mix,  in equal parts more or less, lexcept the seed is less. I eyeball it.

Zupreem Fruit, Cockatiel, 2 parts
Roudybush Crumble, 2 parts
One of the Higgins Seed Mix (Veracruz, Celestial, Tikal), 1 part
Vita seed mix, Cockatiel , 1 part

My guys really like it.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I thought it was just my birds. I have two White Bellied Caiques, Sunny and Shea. Sunny will not eat the purple pellets and Shea will not eat the yellow ones. Once their dish is down to mostly the color they won't eat, I switch dishes and add more...but really, I would love to just buy the colors they eat. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I have been saying myself for some time now!! My sun conure will only eat purple and orange, so most of the pellets end up in the garbage. Birds are picky eaters. Please Zupreem, package the colors separately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking on the Web for some kind of purple parrot pellets I thought if say one sees this they will think I am crazy.I have a goffin (Coconut) and my grey ( sam/ bubby/knock it off/ he thinks he is human.

    ReplyDelete